Though bats are beneficial to the environment, they have a reputation for being harmful to people. They are important in that they each eat thousands of insects per year, but the diseases they often carry can be harmful or fatal to humans. While we need to protect our dwindling bat populations, having them living in our attics is not acceptable. If you have bats in your attic, getting them out quickly and completely is important.
- Bat guano is known to cause thousands of dollars in damage to homes and property each year
- As guano accumulates in attics, it can cause serious health complications for you and your family
In many areas, bats are protected by federal law. So if you have them in your attic, how do you go about removing them safely and legally?
The key to a painless removal experience is early detection. Signs of bat activity include:
- Fluttering or scratching from your walls or ceiling, especially in the early hours of the morning, or right around dusk
- If your attic is quiet other than those parts of the day, chances are that you have bats and not another type of critter. Bats leave and return during these times, hence the noise
- Large accumulations of bat waste (guano) near the entrances and exits to your attic. This is because bats often create waste just before leaving, and right after returning to their roost
If you suspect that bats have taken up residence in your attic, don’t wait to get help. Bats are capable of inflicting big damage on your home if left unchecked. Contact Critter Control® of Fort Worth today at 469.805.6267 with any questions, or to schedule your complimentary home consultation.